Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Week of Sickness

Have you ever experienced a week where you feel like you have been to the doctor EVERY day?
A week where you truly realize how important it is to be well?

This is our week.

Last Wednesday, Matthew began running a fever. Being the great mom I am, I thought he was hot all day because it was hot outside.  To prove to myself it was just the weather, I (smart one that I am) waited until 5 PM to take Matthew's temperature. 102* F. What!?!? Took it again, same thing. Knowing that when you are released from the hospital after having a baby and every newborn class I have taken, temperature is really bad for an 8 week old. Flipping out a little, I call the pediatrician, who (of course) is out for the evening, but I do get the AR Children's Hospital Answering Service. The sweet nurse told me that we need to get to the ER. I pack up John Michael and we wait for Ben to get home. John Michael (Thankfully) was able to spend the evening with his Nana and Ops and Ben, Matthew, and I headed to the ER.  They were very nice and segregated us from the rest of the crowd. He was still running fever and did get assigned a room fairly quickly for the ER. A chest X-Ray and CBC Blood work (made Matthew and me cry) were ran, Tylenol given and then we were sent home around 10 PM saying it was probably a virus, but go see the pediatrician in the morning.

For having 102.2 Fever, he sure looked good!

Mommy and Matthew at the ER.
The next day, Matthew and I head to see our favorite Ped (Dr. Chris) and confirm that he still thinks it is a virus. On Friday, Matthew woke up fever free. ANSWER TO PRAYERS! He has been a healthy, happy boy since.

Then comes last Friday, I wake up with 103.4 fever and John Michael is snotting around. My awesome husband, came home from work and JM and I headed to the doctor. JM gets the diagnosis of "allergies", I get the wonderful "It is just a virus". However, during my exam, the doctor is very troubled by my thyroid, so blood work for me.

Sunday comes, I'm still running 102 - 104* F. Go back to doctor. They do a strep culture and put me a strep meds "just to be safe". Oh, and by the way, "your thyroid is really messed up".

Tuesday is Matthew's 2 Month Well Check Up.....perfectly healthy! (Later post to come on our big 2 Month Old)  Tuesday afternoon - Thyroid Ultrasound for me.

Today, another trip to the lab with an amazing husband (who knows I pass out giving blood) for CBC, Mono Test, and more thyroid testing.
My healthy Kiddo!
I'm on 6 days folks of running fever, killing myself to eat or talk, and just down right miserable. My family and I are more than ready for me to be well. SO.....if anyone actually reads this, please pray for us. Healing of this sickness for me and continued protection of my boys from this AWFUL whatever-it-is.
This is how we have been surviving.
An amazing husband taking care of me and Matthew Strapped to me!

3 comments:

Meredith & Brett Hagedorn said...

Soooooo sorry for you & the fam!! Sickness & mama don't mix! Feel better soon! xo

Schluter said...

Oh no! So sorry you guys are sick! Will be praying for you all!

The Lady of the House said...

Goodness! I'm praying for you. There's nothing worse than a mom being sick...