Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Thankful for.......(Day 2)

Jesus.

The older I get.....the more and more I understand God's amazing love.

It baffles me when I hear someone say that they "don't believe in God" or that "Jesus was a good man, but that's it."

Seriously!???! Have you heard of Jesus? Have you heard of his amazing sacrifice!?!?!

" For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. " John 3:16-17

Without God and Jesus....there is zero hope. No hope to see my grandfather again. No hope for John Michael to act silly with his couisn (Wesley Adam). No hope of anything good or pure. NO HOPE.

Sometimes it just hits you in the face how much Jesus loves you.

The other night, I was reading to John Michael from an awesome book (I recommend!) that we were given called "The Jesus Storybook Bible". It is so amazing because it breaks down so many stories in a way a child can understand yet shows how even stories in the Old Testament tie to Jesus in the New Testament. I was reading the story from Genesis 22 about Abraham and Issac. God had commanded Abraham to sacrifice his only and beloved son, Issac. Abraham followed God's instructions perfectly....putting him on the table and as he lift the knife, (Genesis 22:12) God Shouted "Do Not Lay a Hand on that Boy!". (WOW. Do I have faith like that???) However, the story in the "Jesus Storybook Bible" tells that although Abraham did not sacrifice his son, God did just that. Sacrifice his son for all his children that he loved so much.
I'm rocking John Michael and I'm almost in tears thinking about how much of a sacrifice that was for God to watch His Son, the perfect man, die on a awful cross.

So, this holiday season, I am praying that 1) we keep the meaning of the holidays and teach John Michael of them, 2) that I have the faith of Abraham, and 3)that I share this amazing blessing of Jesus' love with everyone I come in contact with.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

1 comment:

The Lady of the House said...

I love the story of Abraham and Isaac.

To add to that:

Have you ever thought that Isaac wasn't a young child? There are many scholars that think Isaac was around the same age as Jesus.

Thus, it put Abraham in a similar position as Heavenly Father and Isaac in a similar position as Christ. They felt the same pain, the same anguish of that sacrifice. It makes that story so much more powerful (not that it wasn't before).

Just a thought.