Thursday, September 13, 2012

Thyroid

Who knew your thyroid was so important?
It is has been a LONG time (i.e., high school) since I have had to take any anatomy classes!
I have quickly learned more about the thyroid and its functions in the last 3 weeks.
When I was really sick a few weeks ago (fever, etc), when I saw the doctor in the Walk-in clinic, he could have cared less about my "virus" and wanted to know how long I had "that thing" on your throat.  (As a side note, Ben and I had not noticed the "thing" but just the week before my sister told me that my neck was really big.....I thought she was being rude! I had to call and apologize)

After some blood work, seeing 2 Doctors, 1 Endocrinologist, and 1 surgeon, we have learned that I have a nodule on the left side of my thyroid. They are thinking that I might have had it for a while, but because of my post-pregnancy hormones, it might have just had enough juice to get larger.

Tomorrow, I will be going for a biopsy and to have the wonderful thing drained. I. AM. SCARED. TO. DEATH.  Honestly, I'm not worried at all about the results, I REALLY don't think it is cancer. HOWEVER, I am very worried about the pain. I am awake during the procedure (i.e. big needles in my neck!) and the doctor has painted a very painful picture. I'm hoping he has made it sound worse than it is just so I will be pleasantly surprised!

If you have a chance, say a pray that it will be pain free as possible and that the results will come back good. It does takes 2-3 weeks before we will know so until then, I go on living like I never had it and then depending on the results, the doc said we would go from there.

Thank you for your prayers!

1 comment:

Schluter said...

So sorry! I'll definitely be praying and I hope everything is OK tomorrow!